The first round of successful grant applications through the Stronger Communities Grant Program have been announced by local Federal Member for Oxley Milton Dick MP including Miraa House at Westlake, St Vincent De Paul Inala and Wesley Mission Jacobs Court Sinnamon Park.
Almost $150,000 worth of grants have been allocated to groups throughout the community towards projects such as building restoration, storage facilities and the installation of air conditioning for charities.
Local Federal Member for Oxley Milton Dick MP said these grants were important to support the vital work local community organisations undertake.
“I’m thrilled today to announce the first round of successful applications through the Stronger Communities Grant Program” said Mr Dick.
“These grants provide crucial funding for local groups to upgrade, install or build new facilities to deliver better opportunities and services to the local area”
The Stronger Communities Grant Program funds capital infrastructure projects in each of the 150 federal electorates to improve local community participation and contribute to vibrant and viable communities.
“I was proud to support our local organisations who applied for funding and I’m looking forward to making further announcements regarding more successful applications soon” said Mr Dick.
The first presentation was made to Miraa House in the Western Suburbs of Brisbane.
Miraa House is a learning life skills centre for women aged 17 and over with an intellectual disability. Miraa House’s unique program works in small groups of women only, to learn essential life skills that empower our ladies to become more independent both at home and in the community.
“Our program is delivered in a caring environment by our dedicated and highly qualified team including a special education teacher, social worker and support workers” said Marketing, Events & Fundraising Manager Sue Nesbitt.
Successful projects announced in the first round of funding are:
- Miraa House - $2,827 for the construction of a new footpath.
- St Vincent De Paul Inala - $13,225 for the renovations and improvement to the family support centre including the installation of air conditioning.
- Wesley Mission Jacobs Court Sinnamon Park - $5,000 for landscaping and new front garden.
- C&K Kindergarten Collingwood Park - $8,000 for upgrading children’s educational spaces
- Centenary Suburbs Men’s Shed - $20,000 for the construction of a new four bay storage and facilities shed.
- Jindalee Golf Club - $5,968 for construction of a new flood proof bridge.
- Sri Lanka Buddhist Monestry - $10,000 for the construction of a new educational space.
- Vietnamese Community Australia Queensland Chapter - $15,000 for facilities upgrade for youth and elderly people in Darra and surrounding areas
Remaining projects still under consideration are expected to be announced later this year.