Centenary Bridge Upgrade

Centenary Bridge Upgrade Main Image

I’m pleased to announce that the Centenary Bridge Upgrade proposal is moving forward. The Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads is currently accepting submissions from the community on the proposal, with construction due to start next year.

The Centenary Motorway is used by tens of thousands of commuters and businesses in our western suburbs every day. The upgrade will include construction of a new three-lane northbound bridge, refurbishment and conversion of the existing bridge to a three-lane southbound thoroughfare, and an expansion of active transport facilities in the area.

I’m proud to have helped deliver the $112 million commitment by the Federal Government to this project. These funds are in addition to the $132 million pledged by the Queensland Government. The Centenary Motorway is crucial infrastructure for our region and I’m confident this upgrade will help reduce congestion and travel times, meaning more time at home and less time on the road.

This extra capacity will provide greater efficiency and travel-time reliability between Brisbane's CBD and the western suburbs, between local destinations, and along the entire Centenary Motorway. This project is part of the Centenary Motorway Upgrade aimed at meeting the community’s future transport needs.

The Centenary Bridge carries more than 85,000 vehicles a day and current traffic modelling shows that by 2036, around 152,000 vehicles per day will want to cross the bridge. This upgrade will support this growth while also providing more flexible transport options to residents, including improved bus lanes, bike paths and walkways.

Community engagement is underway and closes 19 September 2021. To have your say:

• Email feedback to [email protected], or
  • Phone the project team on (07) 3066 4338 (during business hours), or
  • Send feedback via post to:

The Centenary Bridge Upgrade project team
Metropolitan Region
Department of Transport and Main Roads
Reply Paid 70
Spring Hill QLD 4004

If you have any questions please feel free to contact my office, or take a look at TMR’s Q&A on the project.